Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Queen of Valentines


When I took this picture, Brynna said, "I'm like the queen of valentines".

I have always loved Valentines day. It probably my mom's fault, as a kid my mom always made it fun. She would get us treats and "ding-dong-ditch" them on our doorway. They were usually red cups filled with candy or a little stuffed animal. We were excited all day waiting for the doorbell to ring. We would also "Punch out" our friends valentines out of big "punch-out" books and put together treats and do the same thing for our friends..."the big "ding-dong-ditch". Did anyone else do that? It could have been a tradition in the "olden days". I even remember one year my dad attached the cards for our friends to a fishing rod and we reeled them toward us from a bush when our friends would try to pick them up off of their doorstop.
As I have gotten older (much older) I have come to love the concept of "love" in it's purest form. Like the scripture on charity I have come to think that love is kindness; love is patience; love is unselfishness, sacrifice and thinking of the other person (even when you feel it is not returned); love is giving when you don't really feel like giving; love is forgiving over and over; love definately is not proud; love is humble and strong at the same time; love is taking your child's lunch to school no matter how embarassing it is that it is the tenth time; love doesn't avoid the hard things of life but bravely goes toward them knowing that sometimes it will not go well personally; love is something I keep learning about everyday and will probably never get it completely right. No matter how much I read or study or seek, I always find that I learn I have so much more to learn.
I found the following definition, "Defining what love is has been the work of poets and philosophers throughout time, but it's our job too. It is something we all know when we feel it, but words simply are not adequate enough to define it. Love is so many things, a feeling, an intention and a thank you. It is compassionate, it is generous, it is funny, it is serious, it breaks our hearts and yet it heals all things. Love is expressed in a trillion ways, it is found in a smile, blowing a kiss, a wink, a song, a poem, a word or even a batch of chocolate chip cookies. There is so much to say about love, but the heart of the matter is, we all want to be loved and we all want to love. " Hope you have a day filled with much love.
If you still want to vote...here is the link: http://music.mormontimes.com/contest.php?id=757&nocache=1

3 comments:

watergirl said...

Your Valentine Days were much more exciting than mine. I wrote a poem for you...oh Elise is crying, it will have to wait.

three pinkies said...

We would ding-dong-ditch too. But our neighborhood was so spread out and sparsely landscaped that you could always see your friends running away.

The word verification says "kingshe". Isn't that a "queen"?

Gentry Tolton said...

We ding-dong-ditch to, so your not the only people that do it! it is one of my fav traditions!!